Johnny Depp and Amber Heard’s lawsuit over – The mud-throwing in court officially came to an end on Wednesday: Johnny Depp and Amber Heard have heard the verdict in the defamation case that the actor had filed against his ex-wife. She has to pay him more than 10 million dollars (9.4 million euros) and he has to pay her 2 million dollars. That seems to be the end of the matter. But is that true?
“Depp heard” Wednesday night (Dutch time) from the seven-member jury what he had been hoping for for a long time: they gave him right. According to the jury, the actor’s team has sufficiently proven that his ex-wife is guilty of defamation and is responsible for the consequences her accusations had on his life.
The jury wanted Depp to receive $15 million from his ex. But because of a rule in the U.S. state of Virginia, where the lawsuit took place, that amount has been reduced to $ 10,350,000.
According to the jury, Heard has not been able to prove on most points that her ex is guilty of defamation. Still, the actress gets money. That’s because the jury did see sufficient grounds for Heard’s team’s point about Depp’s lawyer. By shouting that everything Heard said was part of a “hoax,” the lawyer would have been guilty of defamation. Heard, in turn, gets 2 million dollars.
Whether it is a matter of deducting one amount from another is not clear. Both amounts may have to be paid for the legal completion.
Neither of them has officially said it yet, but if we are to believe a spokesperson for Heard, the actress plans to appeal. In an initial reaction, the actress said that she was extremely disappointed in the ruling, but did not show anything about a possible appeal. The coming weeks will show whether Heard continues the case.
Then it is not said that that will actually happen. Depp also wanted to appeal in the United Kingdom, where he lost a case involving a piece in The Sun (in which Depp was called a “womanizer”). That was not allowed at the time.
Johnny Depp and “Amber” Heard’s lawsuit over: what’s next?
And now? Apart from a possible appeal, both actors will have to move on with their lives. Depp wrote that the ruling has finally given him that chance and that the truth is now on the street. In court, he told how he had seen the number of offers for new films shrink considerably since the first allegations of Heard in 2016.
A former employee of Depp contradicted that. According to the booking agent, the number of offers had already decreased well before that time due to the behavior of the actor on film sets. For example, he would regularly be late or not well enough prepared.
Depp was not present in court during the verdict because he was in the UNITED KINGDOM for performances. Musically, he can at least get to work. Recently, the actor starred in a French film, Jeanne du Barry, which was offered to all kinds of distributors during the Cannes Film Festival. So we may still see that film in cinemas.
The actor will hope that slightly larger film roles will also come his way again. But if we are to believe experts from, among others, The Guardian, makers will still be careful with that in the coming years. The lawsuit has brought out many details that have an effect on how people look at Depp. Filmmakers may find that a risk.
Heard is likely to hit most theaters in March 2023. Then, according to the current schedule, Aquaman 2 appears, in which the actress plays Mera. Recently she also closed recordings for the indie film In the Fire, but it is unknown when that film will be released.
Other film projects have not yet been announced. Also in the case of Heard, according to experts, it can be assumed that the supply is lagging behind.