A subject that has been circulating on the internet is precisely the title question: “what is the best and worst thing about current games than those of the past?”, being a question with many variables and difficult to reach a conclusion. After all, in what sense would each era be better?
What was different in the past?
- Simplicity: thanks to more rudimentary technology, unintentionally the games were also simpler, usually summed up in running and jumping in a side view, or having a top view in the case of RPG games. With that, the gameplay of old games tended to be more intuitive, since it was not necessary to learn many commands and movements;
- Gameplay focus: today’s games focus a lot on the experience as a whole, almost like an interactive movie. In the past, games were more focused on the gameplay itself, and in many cases the story was practically non-existent or was only in the manual;
- Creativity: the very limitation of resources ended up making the developers “stretch out” to put into practice what they had in mind, resulting in more creative games;
- Difficulty: it’s not news to anyone that the old games were, for the most part, more difficult than the current ones. This was a way to make the adventures last longer, and nowadays it is possible to create easy games that last many hours;
What’s different today?
- Realistic visuals and cutting-edge sounds: if in the past the graphics were in pixels and the developers had to “dribble” the technical limitations of the consoles to the maximum, nowadays this is not necessary, since it is possible to have a super sophisticated look and entire orchestrations;
- DLCs, expansions and updates: Considered a double-edged sword, extra downloadable content can further expand game content, in addition to giving developers the opportunity to correct errors that have gone unnoticed over time;
- online multiplayer: if in the past the multiplayer mode was limited to a maximum of four people locally, today you can play with people from all over the world in the most different types of games;
- Accessibility: technology has also democratized games, since nowadays anyone who has a computer with internet access can access old and current games and download them with one click;
Based on these assumptions, the conclusion that old games were better or that today are better is something subjective and varies according to each player’s preferences. If in the past games were more challenging, today they are more extensive naturally; if in the past games were simple, today we can have highly complex adventures. Who will decide what’s cooler is you.